- Release date:
Oct 18, 2011 (US)
Oct 21, 2011 (EU)
This game was released on October 21, 2011. It is no longer available for pre-ordering; you can buy it normally.
Batman: Arkham City is a highly anticipated sequel to Arkham Asylum. It picks up one year after the events of the first game, which left both the Arkham Asylum and Blackgate Prison damaged and unfit for use.
In the upcoming game, Quincy Sharp runs for the mayor of Gotham and wins the election. His first decision is to isolate a notorious slum district and move all inmates to this new “Arkham City”. The criminals are left to their own devices, as long as they do not attempt to escape. The situation, however, quickly gets out of hand as Two-Face plots to publicly execute Catwoman, and Batman is forced to enter the Arkham City to save her.
Like its predecessor, Batman: Arkham City is an open-word action game, with even more side missions and challenges. The game world is larger, and divided into turf zones owned by different gangs. You start with all the gadgets you’ve obtained in the previous game; there also are new ones in your arsenal, such as smoke bombs. Finally, Arkham City gives you more skill upgrade choices (33 as opposed to 20 in Arkham Asylum).
Update: Arkham City Skin Pack
If you missed the pre-order bonuses or didn’t get the skin you wanted, you can now get the full Batman: Arkham City Skins Pack DLC for an affordable price of $4.99. Includes 7 Batman costumes.
Batman: Arkham City pre-order bonuses
There are several retailer-specific DLCs and other exclusive incentives offered to those who preorder Batman: Arkham City before the launch. As much as most gamers dislike them, publishers seem to think it’s a good marketing tactic. Here’s a list of known bonuses so far:
- Amazon: $10 promotional credit, and exclusive Batman: Arkham City comic (with Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions only).
- Gamestop: exclusive Joker’s Carnival challenge map (reported 4 hours of gameplay), and a digital copy of Batman: Gotham Knight anime movie. In addition, PowerUp Rewards members get a Batman Animated Series suit.
- Best Buy: exclusive Robin character with his own unique gadgets and moves. Playable in all challenge maps of the game, including two additional maps that are only available with Best Buy preorders (Black Mask Hideout and Freight Train Escape).
- Newegg: free Batman t-shirt with console versions of the game.
- Walmart: $10 eGift card and a free copy of Batman: Arkham Asylum with console versions of the game.
- Amazon: exclusive Catwoman Steelbook edition and Batman Earth One DLC.
- HMV: exclusive LTD edition DC Batman Arkham City comic, a LTD edition Batman Arkham City T-Shirt and a LTD edition lenticular sleeve.
- Blockbuster: SteelBook CE of the game featuring the Penguin.
- Tesco: Joker’s Carnival challenge map, and SteelBook case with Joker cover art.
- ShopTo.net: exclusive 1970′s Batman Suit DLC. This store also offers a Two-Face SteelBook edition for a slightly higher price.
- GAME: playable Robin character with two challenge maps and two costumes. This edition of the game also features Robin box art.
- GameStop: exclusive Batman Beyond Batsuit DLC.
Batman fans will be pleased to learn that the game will also have a premium edition, packed with bonus collectibles and digital goodies.
The Collector’s Edition carries a price tag of $99.99 and includes the following items:
- Custom Batman statue produced by Kotobukiya artists
- Collectible art book
- Four collectible cards
- Early access to Iceberg Lounge Challenge Map
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns character skin
- Bonus DC Universe animated original movie, Batman: Gotham Knight
- Batman: Arkham City album from WaterTower Music including original songs by hit artists, available via digital redemption
Batman: Arkham City CE is available at most retailers in the US, Europe, and Australia, so pick your favorite store to preorder.
This HD gameplay trailer titled “Ain’t No Place for a Hero” shows some dark and disturbing environments and awesomely insane villains that you can look forward to in Arkham City.
Batman: Arkham City will be released on October 18th, 2011 in the US, 19th in Australia, and 21st in Europe for Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and Windows platforms. It is also expected to be released for the upcoming Wii U console sometime in 2012.